The Department of Public Works’ construction contractors are approximately 50 percent complete implementing the S. Broad Street Improvement Project between Erato Street and Tulane Avenue.
Crews are currently widening the neutral ground turn outs and re-establishing the curbs. Repairs were also made to the Poydras Street onramp to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant requirements. Asphalt repaving work is scheduled to begin in February, weather permitting. The project is scheduled to be completed prior to Mardi Gras.
The scope of work includes:
- Installing a new traffic signal (underway);
- Making guardrail and deck improvements;
- Repairing damaged catch basins;
- Adding roadway striping including a protected bike lane over the Broad Street overpass and a dedicated bike lane between the Broad Street overpass and Tulane Avenue;
- Adding crosswalk striping;
- Installing new concrete bus islands; and
- Re-allocating curb space including moving freight and passenger zones.
Residents and commuters should expect intermittent travel lane closures during some of the project tasks. Sign up for news releases from Mayor Cantrell’s office here.
The City hosted a public meeting to discuss construction sequencing in September 2018. View a copy of the presentation here. Sign up for project updates by writing Roadwork@nola.gov.