A recent inspection of several New Orleans East bridges revealed the structures are not safe for vehicular traffic. In response, the City has closed the bridges to allow a licensed engineer to assess the conditions of each bridge and prepare engineering plans to repair the bridges.
Engineering plans have been completed and the repair contract is being prepared for public bid later this month with construction is expected to begin in the fall. Bridges currently closed to vehicular traffic are:
- Mayo Road @ Morrison Canal
- Lake Forest @ Citrus Canal
The scope of planned work varies by bridge but may include:
- Repairing or replacing damaged bridge pilings
- Repairing damaged pile cap(s)
- Removing and replacing existing approach slab(s)
- Removing and salvaging existing guardrail(s)
- Installing permanent pavement striping and signage
When repairs to the bridges are completed, each bridge will safely allow emergency vehicles and school busses to cross the canals.
Safety is the City’s top priority. We are working to repair and reopen these bridges to vehicular traffic as soon as possible and minimize traffic inconveniences. Traffic control signs and barrels are in place to keep residents and commuters safe. Please mind the traffic control signs and barricades and never move them from their assigned locations.