City of New Orleans and Department of Public Works’ construction contractor, Durr Heavy Construction, LLC, is set to begin a $753,000 city-funded refurbishment project on three New Orleans East bridges this month. Crews will work successively beginning with the Morrison Canal Bridge and the overall project will take approximately seven months to complete. Public safety is our top priority; residents and commuters should plan to travel at slower speeds and use caution when driving, bicycling and walking near these construction sites.
Inspections in late 2017 revealed that the following structures are not safe for vehicular traffic. The City closed the bridges to allow a licensed engineer to assess the conditions of each bridge and prepare engineering plans to repair the bridges.
Bridges currently closed to vehicular traffic are:
- East and west bound Lake Forest Boulevard Bridge over the Citrus Canal
- East and west bound bridges at the intersection of Morrison Road and Mayo Road
- East bound Lake Forest Boulevard bridge at the Benson Canal
The scope of planned work varies by bridge but may include:
- Repairing or replacing damaged bridge pilings
- Repairing damaged pile cap(s)
- Removing and replacing existing approach slab(s)
- Removing and salvaging existing guardrail(s)
- Installing permanent pavement striping and signage
When repairs to the bridges are completed in November, weather permitting, each bridge will safely allow emergency vehicles and school busses to cross the canals.
Safety is the City’s top priority. We are working to repair and reopen these bridges to vehicular traffic as soon as possible and minimize traffic inconveniences. Traffic control signs and barrels are in place to keep residents and commuters safe. Residents are asked to please mind the traffic control signs and barricades and never move them from their assigned locations.
For more information about this project contact RoadworkNOLA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 504-658-ROAD (7623).